Daniel Irvine on building software
Developers' Debating Society
30 September 2014
We stage a weekly debate here at 8th Light in London. Since we’re all developers, we stick to technical topics. A couple of us took part in debate clubs at school and we thought it would be beneficial to our work--and I’d say it definitely has been.
I’ve produced a compact page detailing why and how you might want to do this. My aim is that you can pass this graphic around your teammates and discuss it, and maybe even try it out yourselves. Get in contact with me if you do try this out, or if you have any questions.
Here are some topics we’ve discussed in the past:
- This house believes that static typing sucks
- This house believes that primitive types are evil
- This house believes Rails will be obsolete in five years
- This house believes OO is superior for web-facing development
And our next debate will be:
- This house believes that Ruby should have optional typing